Through sketches and photography I draw from techniques utilized by ancient cultures along with the vibrancy of contemporary methods. Sketching charcoal structures over textured gessoed surfaces, thinned water mixable oils cover the canvas pushing the materials and the artist to reach for harmony and echo the fundamental elements of my subjects. Nature is always affected by the forces of earth, water, air and fire and the symphony that ensues is transmitted through the canvas by layering design, pattern and color. As I walk over the land, I see colors, shapes, lines that weave themselves into beautiful and complex tapestries. This interplay of the static and kinetic permeates our environment and such strength and energy can be both observed and sensed.
These abstracted representational compositions give voice and spirit to the often overlooked and obscure. My work bridges the primal and the current, the material and spiritual.
Susan Gay Hatfield completed her Master of Arts of Visual Studies at Cardinal Stritch University in Milwaukee and obtained her Bachelor of Arts Degree from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Susan Gay also attained certification as a Master Gardener through the University of Wisconsin – Extension and this enduring horticultural connection is integral to her vision.
- Peoples Choice Award, League of Milwaukee Artists Boerner Botanical Gardens Show
- Featured Artist, Open Door Gallery
- Honorable Mention-Sturgeon Bay Fine Art Fair
- Member of the League of Milwaukee Artists
- Member of Wisconsin Painters and Sculptors
- Member of Oil Painters of America
- THE Fine Art Gallery
- Hyde House, Milwaukee, WI
- Northwestern Mutual Gallery, Cardinal Stritch University, Milwaukee, WI
- Open Door Gallery, Whitefish Bay, WI
- Magnolia & Co., Wauwatosa, WI